The decade of 1960 was all about freedom of expression and engaging younger audiences in music and all other aspects of life. As a result, the music of the 1960s tended to be a lot more vibrant than ever before, and this was the decade when pop was given a new and much younger face. Rock and roll was still very popular in this era and was joined by a large number of other off shoots such as psychedelic rock, surf rock, garage rock, roots rock and progressive rock.
If you’re a fan of music from the swinging 60s, here are some of the artists and bands you should check out:
- The Beatles – the Fab Four needs no introduction and their fame and ever changing music style helped pave the way for a large number of other musicians.
- The Shadows – before going solo, Cliff Richard was part of this very influential band that featured long instrumental numbers and plenty of heart.
- The Doors – led by Jim Morrison, this band was one of the pioneers of psychedelic rock and they helped push back the boundaries of what was acceptable in the world of music due to their constant refusal to compromise.
- Chubby Checker – this legendary performer and songwriter gave an innovative dance hall twist to the pop genre and helped produce something different that appealed to people from all walks of life.
- Marvin Gaye – the 60s also had plenty of soul and Marvin Gaye was around to stir things up a little, and produced music that made people feel good while also tackling some of the major issues of that time.
- The Jackson Five – this family group exploded towards the end of the 60s and helped pave the way for funk and disco music with their light hearted songs and very vibrant performances.